nani was NINETEEN and such a fucking badass who was so protective of lilo and just ROLLED with aliens being a thing towards the end of the movie. #1 Disney relative of all time.
I have honestly been waiting AGES for the right gifset to express the wonderful perfection that is Nani. She is not only protective of Lilo, she respects the way Lilo’s imagination and quirkiness works.
Pudge the fish got a peanut butter sandwich every Thursday. Nani does not argue the logic of feeding him, only suggests an alternative sandwich when they are out of peanut butter. Lilo was allowed to take as many photos of whatever mundane or odd subjects as she wanted and Nani would get them developed. Nani recognized what were important habits for Lilo.
When Lilo asks for a pet lobster, Nani does not tell her that lobsters are not pets. She tells her, “We don’t have a lobster door, we have a dog door.” She makes sure the woman at the pound does not tell Lilo that “Stitch is not a real name”.
NANI SPENDS THE ENTIRE MOVIE MAKING SURE THAT LILO NEVER FEELS LIKE HER IDEAS ARE WRONG.
The only time we truly see Nani get angry with Lilo is when she is scared of Lilo being taken away. Nani spends the entire movie stressed out over taking care of her sister, trying to find a job, trying to make sure her sister has a friend, and yet she is always willing to put that extra effort, over and over again, to make sure that Lilo always believes that anything is possible.
This is a great moment because she probably *remembered* that Lilo said this once. And you know what? Shes not ending this day by letting her little sister think this is her fault. She’s not having an easy time trying to be a parent, but she knows none of this is her sisters fault, and shes not going to let her think it is.
And half of her terror of losing Lilo isnt even just losing her family; its knowing that wherever Lilo goes, they won’t know how to do these things. They won’t understand her.
What a good movie.
Casual reminder that the reason Lilo obsessively feeds the fish is because her parents died in a rainstorm and she firmly believes Pudge controls the weather. If you pay attention to the feeding sequence you will notice that storm clouds recede and dissipate, a visual narrative that confirms this.
It’s not just a habit. It’s a very real part of Lilo’s healing process and Nani understands that.
Also if you pay attention to Nani’s room you’ll notice she had surfing posters and trophies. She was very much on her way to being a pro surfer but had to give it up to become the adult Lilo needed her to be.
And not ONCE does Nani show her sister any resentment. It’s worth it to keep her family together. This is a young woman who is willing to sacrifice all of her dreams and make incredibly grown up decisions.
What I am saying is Nani is the best disney princess of all time. Disney Queen even.
LOVE this movie
**Bows down to the design god who made this**
Today is one of those days which seem that no one cares and I should probably not be here….I also feel I should just cut my arm open again just because I deserve it…
Dean Burnett: Saying publicly that Robin Williams’s suicide was a ‘selfish’ act is ignorant and potentially harmful
1. Sneak out in the middle of the night with someone you like. Drive to the middle of nowhere or simply just watch the stars and the moon from the roof of a car. Talk about the universe and everything in between.
2. Draw. Sculpt. Or write. Put your tangled thoughts into art. Show it to someone or hide it under your bed.
3. Put yourself first sometimes. Do what you love even if your friends or parents tell you otherwise. Wear the clothes you want and listen to the music your heart desires. Don’t fall under the pressure of pleasing others.
4. Spend an hour or two alone every day. Go to a coffee shop and sit by the window. Bring your favorite book even though you’ve probably read it a hundred times and look at the different people surrounding you.
5. Go out at night. Perhaps with your best friend. Dress up for once and make sure to feel beautiful and classy. In case you’re a girl put on a shade of red lipstick and curl your hair. There is just something strangely exciting about looking like you got it all together when deep down you’re a nervous wreck.
|—||Unknown (via exoticwild)|
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, “we’ve always done it this way.”
"Come on, let’s mix it up!" The heart surgeon says.
"B-but we’ve always done it this way!" The other replies, "this is how you replace a heart valve."
"That’s the most dangerous phrase in the human language!" The first surgeon replies haughtily as he inputs a fruit loop into the patient’s heart. "This will be his valve. He will be a fruit loop in a world of Cheerios."
(taken from this post on the experiments of Harry Harlow)
This is serious business, because this is a large part of how sexism, racism, homophobia, rape culture, ethnocentrism, etc. continue to happen.